About Me

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Karma is not a B****!

This word karma, for those of you who don't know what it is, let me give you the definition. Karma [kahr-muh]the cosmic principle according to which each person is rewarded or punished in one incarnation according to that person's deeds in the previous incarnation. Growing up I always hear people saying when something good or bad happened to them it was karma, because of something good or bad they did earlier or in the past. I somewhat believe in this principle. But more often times than none I see people blaming everything on this principle, when something goes bad in their life. Let's do an example..."If I didn't eat that twinkie last week at my cubicle when I knew I shouldn't have, I would still have my job right now, dang karma!" When the rest of the world knew that it wasn't the twinkie that caused him to lose his job, or was it? My point is we can't blame our misfortunes on karma. I do believe though the other side of the principle, the because I did something good, then something good is going to happen. Why not do good always then right?
But there are those that seek for rewards of monetary value when they help and they think to themselves, "well I helped out, don't I get something?" I guess feeling good and happy just doesn't quite cut it for some folks. I know at least for me that when I help others with no thought of reward or something in return, I receive blessings. Being optimistic and having a happy attitude as much as possible I believe blesses us with good karma. I also know that being the opposite of these things can't bring out much good either, how can we expect that? I believe in part we make our own karma. I'd like to finish with a thought from President Monson. "Along your pathway of life you will observe that you are not the only traveler. There are others who need your help. There are feet to steady, hands to grasp, minds to encourage, hearts to inspire, and souls to save." -Thomas S. Monson

No comments:

Post a Comment