About Me

Monday, June 27, 2011

The things we Desire

This is the first time in a while where I went a whole weekend without posting a blog. The truth is I have had a fun weekend. I got to be friends and cook hawaiian hay stacks (yum!) Attend the YSA Summit, where there were around 1000 YSA peeps attending workshops, eating food, mingling, dancing, enjoying entertainment. Also got to attend the amazing fireworks show at Taylorsville Dayzz. Scones were also a part of my weekend. So there is my excuse, I apologize to all of my faithful blog readers and stalkers for not writing a post sooner, my bad!

I went back to this past General Conference and while searching through the talks, I came across Elder Oaks' talk on desire. This is the same talk where he kind of rips into the single men of the church for not actively seeking marriage.As I ponder on the things that I desire now, things I have desired in the past, thing I desire in the near future and distance future, I couldn't help but think mostly of monetary things. I guess it's natural.Sometimes our desires seem unattainable, or too far fetched to be be realized. I love reading my patriarchal blessing, at the Summit this past weekend the keynote speaker Brother Eyre challenged us to memorize our patriarchal blessing. In doing so we will recognize our potential, and come to realize our greatest desires coming to pass.

Elder Oaks said, "Desires dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices, and choices determine our actions. The desires we act on determine our changing, our achieving, and our becoming." This statement is so powerful. The potential that we have to change, achieve, and become, is limitless (by the way, a great movie.)

So we ask ourselves, "what are the things that I desire?" Before we can answer this we need to cover our basic needs, food, shelter, and rest. When these are satisfied, we can focus on our desires.Our righteous desires can be realized, if they are worked on by faith. Although it is not wrong to desire things with monetary value, it is understanding that the things that we buy on earth cannot last, and will not give us everlasting happiness. Our greatest desire should be to live a life worthily and happily to return to our Heavenly Father's presence.

Elder Oaks ends with,"Let us remember that desires dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices, and choices determine our actions. In addition, it is our actions and our desires that cause us to become something, whether a true friend, a gifted teacher, or one who has qualified for eternal life."

No comments:

Post a Comment